My brief bio...

I used to co-write a blog, "East and West Running" at www.eastandwestrunning.blogspot.com...click on the various links to see some of the early entries from 2010 to 2012 when I first learned how to run and then first learned how to ride a bike as I was based in Canada and my co-blogger was based in Malaysia.

I fell off the blogging wagon since somewhere around 2014 or 2015, but I'm getting back on so that I can track my #fitoverforty journey back into fitness...

Thursday, December 19, 2013

Top Ten Random Thoughts

Joy here…After what seems like (and probably is) months and months of having the worst training record that I've had in years and years, I am starting to get back into the swing of things.  First,
it was wonderful to run a 10km race through the ruins at Angkor Wat in Cambodia at the start of December.  It was my first 10km race in over 3 years, and it was my first running race since May 2011.  This race reminded me of all the things that I enjoy about running:  sure there's the fitness and feeling like I'm doing something good for my health, but for me, someone who has spent and continues to spend a lot of time living up in her head, I enjoy the contemplative nature of running.

The face of contemplation that hangs above
my bed in my home in Ottawa.
So as I've gotten back into a consistent workout routine (so far…fingers crossed that I keep it up!!!), I'm able to be a bit more contemplative.  I hit my strength training sessions twice per week, got out there and ran and rode my bike, and have been able to be a bit more contemplative of late as a result.

As 2013 draws to its close, (in no particular order) here is a random top-10 list of some of the things that I've thought about while out there running and cycling:

1.)  The older you get, the dumber you realize you are.
2.)  Being a grown up is really really hard work.
3.)  Living life is not about reaching a certain level and then maintaining it, but about always striving for more.
4.)  Having few really good friends is better than having many not-so-good friends.
5.)  Keep a safe distance between you and toxic people in your life.
6.)  Often silence is better than a pointed rebuttal.
7.)  Don't let the choices other people make in their life have any bearing whatsoever on the choices you make in yours.
8.)  Don't try to change people, but be open to letting them change you.
9.)  Don't look backwards.
10.)  It's almost always better to smile than to punch (even if punching is what you really, really, really want to do!).

The original face that inspired the painting in my home.
From Bayon Temple, Cambodia.
I hope you enjoy the random collection of thoughts that give you a little window into the many things that whirl and swirl in my head as I do my best to hit my workouts and get myself back to where I want to be, so that I can start 2014 the right way!

Over and out,
Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment