My brief bio...

I used to co-write a blog, "East and West Running" at www.eastandwestrunning.blogspot.com...click on the various links to see some of the early entries from 2010 to 2012 when I first learned how to run and then first learned how to ride a bike as I was based in Canada and my co-blogger was based in Malaysia.

I fell off the blogging wagon since somewhere around 2014 or 2015, but I'm getting back on so that I can track my #fitoverforty journey back into fitness...

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Dreamscape...

Joy here...I've been having trouble committing to my workouts; I've been letting myself and my coach down; but I'm doing my best to remain positive and keep taking one day at a time.

That is until I had the strangest dream.

You see, we've been hosting guests, and in my dream our guests, us, and other friends of ours were all outside under an evening sky on a wooden patio.  It wasn't a patio that I'm familiar with in my waking life, but as in many dreams, it was a familiar place, and I felt like I was at home.  There was a grassy patch of yard just beyond the patio, and some tropical trees moving softly in the warm evening breeze off in the distance.  A few dogs were frolicking on the lawn, while we mingled on the patio, and the lights from the house beyond cast our shadows long into the yard.  One of the dogs was jumping around and barking franticly.  She is one of our friend's beloved dogs (they have 6), and her name is Julie (pronounced the french way, like Djzulee).  The other dogs (about 3 of them) weren't ones I know in my waking life, but they were friendly, and we were happy to have them on the lawn.  Then suddenly, following Julie's lead, they all rolled on their backs, baring their stomachs to the night sky in positions of utter submission.

Better to run into a sucker like this in a dream than in
real life!
Those of us on the patio looked on in wonder at the strange behaviour, when suddenly, I saw something dark moving in the grass where the prone dogs lay utterly still.  Soon the strange, dark thing on the lawn raised itself up and came at us on the patio with startling speed; we were being attacked by a king cobra, his hood raised.  While everyone ran to the light of the house, I turned and promptly saw out of the corner of my eye, the snake making its way right for me.  It sank its teeth into the flesh of my butt, and I felt excruciating pain as it hung on, and as I crumbled to my knees, I remember shouting for my husband to call the hospital and tell them I've been bitten by a king cobra.

I then awoke, safe and sound in my bed.

My butt was just fine, and the pain, like the dream receded.

Then we took our guest to the zoo, and as we made our way to the reptile house, I cam face to face with a king cobra, separated only by a thin sheet of glass.  He stood up on a branch, holding himself vertical as he stared at me with his cold and unfathomable gaze.  I shuddered and walked on to the next exhibit.

Now I'm not a superstitious person, but I looked up what snakes are supposed to mean for dreamers.  Google tells me that dreaming of being bitten by a snake should serve as a "wake up call" for something, and since I was bitten in my ever-increasing butt, I'm assuming that my kick-in-the-butt wake up call (or rather bite-in-the-butt) is a warning that I need to get back into my workouts.

So I've got a trainer and I've been doing some strength training, core work, and plyometrics, and I'll be back out there running this week ASAP.

Next time, I intend to outrun that cobra!

Over and out,
Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment