My brief bio...

I used to co-write a blog, "East and West Running" at www.eastandwestrunning.blogspot.com...click on the various links to see some of the early entries from 2010 to 2012 when I first learned how to run and then first learned how to ride a bike as I was based in Canada and my co-blogger was based in Malaysia.

I fell off the blogging wagon since somewhere around 2014 or 2015, but I'm getting back on so that I can track my #fitoverforty journey back into fitness...

Saturday, May 16, 2015

Tiptoe through the Tulips

Joy here...Each May the snow has finally melted and it seems as though spring may have arrived in Ottawa, and to celebrate this annual event that no one ever really believes will come Ottawa puts on the Canadian Tulip Festival.

I'm not even kidding.  The great Canadian tulip festival.

It's happening right now.  So happening.

So, of course, being the good little Ottawan (Ottawinian?) that I am (cough, cough...sarcasm), I went out for my run and ran towards the tulips.

And, you know what?  They were actually pretty beautiful.

It is very easy for me to be down on this town.  It's small and parochial.  Its winter makes me want to kill myself and others.  I miss my friends and family.  I miss the vibe and energy of a big city.  And, well, I could keep on going and going with my oft-repeated list of the things about Ottawa that just don't really float my proverbial boat (and you can read my post about Ottawa as a celebration of mediocrity), but what I should say is that when a whole town comes out to enjoy tulips, brings their kids out to look at flowers, drives into the city from the 'burbs on a family outing to celebrate gardens, and generally gets together over the banishment of winter, even my cold and shrivelled anti-Ottawa heart has to find something pretty special in that.

As much as I wished I could diss all those people milling about the spring buds just barely beginning to open and promise so much more than cold winter, I just couldn't find it in myself to do so.

So as I ran, feeling every bit as out of shape as I am these days, I took a moment to stop and smell the tulips. To stop and enjoy the moment, and while my life isn't exactly where I'd like it to be just yet, it's moving in the right direction, and knowing that, I can give myself permission to take a breather amidst the flowers and allow myself a moment to enjoy the present.

The present with tulips.

The present with running.

The present with sunshine.

And, you know what?  That present is pretty darn good, and so as I turned around after frolicking amongst the flowers and headed home for the latter part of my run, I was feeling pretty darn good. These tulips have been gone all winter, but the festival is on, and they're putting on a good show now, and that's all that matters.

Making friends with spring!
Over and out,
Joy

Run stats:
Ran for a total of 38mins for a distance of 6.93kms at a pace of 5:29min/km.

1 comment:

  1. I really want to appreciate the choice of words. Easy and simple to understand. Good work I must say.

    ReplyDelete