My brief bio...

I used to co-write a blog, "East and West Running" at www.eastandwestrunning.blogspot.com...click on the various links to see some of the early entries from 2010 to 2012 when I first learned how to run and then first learned how to ride a bike as I was based in Canada and my co-blogger was based in Malaysia.

I fell off the blogging wagon since somewhere around 2014 or 2015, but I'm getting back on so that I can track my #fitoverforty journey back into fitness...

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

The Times They Are a Changin'...

Joy here...My last two posts (some shocking 6 weeks apart) have both lamented the bad habits that I've developed and the distance between the me of right now (earning a high score of 63.7kg on our fatty meter--the way we refer to our scale) and the me of the summer (weighing in at around 58kg).  The good news is that I am not alone.

And since misery loves company, I feel better already.

In fact, one of the guys who was an Olympic-calibre runner who then took up cycling after a foot injury and who works at our local bike shop (the Cyclery...where we are serious regulars) and raced very competitively all summer (in fact winning the first and only race of the season that The Man was able to compete in back in April), has just blogged about his own vexed relationship to his own weight at the moment, and his words could be mine:  "hey I have like 4 months to get lean and mean, and there is nothing wrong with putting on a little winter layer."
Autumn is upon us.

I've decided to take him at his word and get into the spirit of this season.  While all the trees are losing their fresh green colours of spring and summer and getting ready for winter, fully comfortable with the change of appearance, change of pace, and change of season, I, too, must get myself used to the fact that summer is behind me and the fitness that I was able to glory in as I learned that I could ride a bike and even be pretty good at it even in not knowing what the heck I was doing is also behind me.

Now is the season of change.

And change is a good thing.

What's not beautiful in this season of change?
Change is a beautiful thing; change represents growth, and change brings out the best in us.  So as I headed out yesterday for a little run just to loosen up my legs after my first bike ride in ages, I thought about those changes (and the changes to my ever-increasing midsection).  If my extra padding now helps me to recharge, rebuild, and move forward, then, hey, I'm happy with that.  Or if not entirely happy with that (I am, afterall a woman shaped and conditioned by a society that is, to say the least, obsessed with body imagery), then I've at least made my peace with it.

I may not be in exactly the shape I'd like to be in.  And I may not be exactly as fast or as fit as I'd like to be.  But I'm exactly where I need to be at this particular moment in time in order to be able to build and move forward throughout the winter so that come spring and summer I'll reach levels that I had never been able to imagine with respect to sport.

The best thing about change is that when change is afoot, you never know what the outcome may be.  And I'm one who has always loved surprises.

So, body, surprise me...show me what you can do!

Over and out,
Joy

Monday's run stats:
Ran for a distance of 6.7km for 40minutes with an average pace of 5:59min/km.




No comments:

Post a Comment