My brief bio...

I used to co-write a blog, "East and West Running" at www.eastandwestrunning.blogspot.com...click on the various links to see some of the early entries from 2010 to 2012 when I first learned how to run and then first learned how to ride a bike as I was based in Canada and my co-blogger was based in Malaysia.

I fell off the blogging wagon since somewhere around 2014 or 2015, but I'm getting back on so that I can track my #fitoverforty journey back into fitness...

Sunday, September 8, 2013

First Bike Ride in a Loooooong Time

Joy here...So at the end of August last summer (2012) I raced in the Ontario provincial Time Trial championships on my bike - placing 6th in my category - and I went into the winter off season thinking that I'd build up fitness and form on my bike and start this new season (2013) with monster cyclist legs like tree trunks, lungs that could inflate a hot air balloon, and mad skills to make people wonder whether or not I was doping.
The cyclist grandson who gets kidnapped in
the fabulous movie The Triplets of Belleville would have
nothing on my awesome cycling physique.

But to misquote Ursula the sea witch from The Little Mermaid:  things were NOT working out according to my ultimate design (see this summary blog post from May if you're curious as to what went wrong).

As I put my plan of becoming a superfit bike racer on the backburner and dusted off my running shoes to get some running fitness back, I just didn't prioritize getting out there on the bike.

The result of that is that I went out for one bike ride in Canada before leaving for Malaysia, and I've done one bike ride since arriving.

But this morning changed all that.

I dusted off my lycra, febreezed my helmet, and wiped off my shoes to get ready to head out the door to ride up a hill that is a favourite amongst Kuala Lumpur cyclists.

I'm not going to lie to you, I was a bit nervous about this decision to hop on a bike and commence climbing up consistently for about an hour, with parts of the climb reaching an incline of 9%.  But I figured that I owed it to myself and my awesome bike to give it a try.

So try is what I did.

The blue sky peeking out, the tall grass, and the trees
beyond, as The Man pauses beside the road
marker that reads "K. Lumpur 38."
But as Yoda says:  "Do or do not. There is no try."  Today, mighty Yoda, I did it!

The morning was around 24C and very humid; soon we started riding our bikes up the climb, with the lush tropical jungle all around us - rising up over the cliffs to our right and dropping off into the ravines to our left - and the blue sky peeking out from watercolour white clouds as the early morning mists began to dissipate across the canopy.  Thick leaves drooped down from high trees, and I felt like I was on the set of Jurassic Park, only this setting is real, full of the smells and sounds of a city built in amidst the jungle.

The first part of the climb wasn't too steep, and I wasn't feeling taxed.  I had to pee like crazy, but other than that, I wasn't uncomfortable.  About 3kms in, my bladder was about to explode, so I parked my bike off to the side, wandered into the jungle, and within about 2meters I couldn't see the road anymore due to the lush greenery.  I dropped my cycling drawers and did the deed, hoping against hope that no snakes would see my big, white moon as a target.

The overpass marking the end of the climb.  See all
the cyclists gathered around?
After emerging unscathed and much relieved, we carried on with our ride, the gradient increasing ever steadily.  When I stopped concentrating on my rhythmic breathing and looked around me, the sights were truly awe inspiring.  This city has some of the most majestic scenery that you could ever hope to see, with old jungle growing tall and proud against red hills and granite cliffs. It makes you feel like you should have David Attenborough narrating in the background.

The climb pitches up steeply just before the end, but then rolls nicely to the finish, which is marked by an overpass; gathered beneath the overpass are many Sunday cyclists, their bikes leaning to the side, their bodies showing the relaxation of achieving their cycling goal for the day.  And as I got within sight of them--dzzzzzzt--I shifted from my easy gear to my big ring and pedalled powerfully towards them, slowing just before dipping down the hill on the other side.

Jurassic Park (you know, minus the dinosaurs)
I turned around and began the switchbacking, winding road down from the peak.  Imagine surfing through an aqua barrel wave, surrounded by an arch of teal water over your head as your board slices almost silently forward through this magical pocket.  Now imagine it faster.  Now imagine that instead of a barrel of water, you're rip-roaring on your bike as green, tropical foliage drapes over you as you hug the side of the road.  If you've imagined that right, then you've probably captured a fraction of the fun I had as I tore down from the top of the climb.

So you know what?  I think I'm gonna do that again.

Over and out,
Joy

Today's Ride Stats:
Rode uphill for 14.88kms for a total elevation increase 484m (about half the total elevation gain in Gatineau Park), and I averaged 15.2km/hr, barely breaking a sweat!  Then I turned around and rip roared down the hill, around the twisty turns, and arrived safely and soundly at the car!


No comments:

Post a Comment