My brief bio...

I used to co-write a blog, "East and West Running" at www.eastandwestrunning.blogspot.com...click on the various links to see some of the early entries from 2010 to 2012 when I first learned how to run and then first learned how to ride a bike as I was based in Canada and my co-blogger was based in Malaysia.

I fell off the blogging wagon since somewhere around 2014 or 2015, but I'm getting back on so that I can track my #fitoverforty journey back into fitness...

Saturday, August 16, 2014

Look where you want to go...

Joy here...While being based in Kuala Lumpur for the past 12 months I've had a chance to do some amazing bike rides through glorious scenery.  Along the way, we upgraded the wheels on my bike to some super fast Carbon C35s, which has given me more than one mini heart attack as I've gone descending down hairpin turns with 400m drops into the ravine below.

You see, I'm not one of those kids who grew up riding a bike, tearing around the neighbourhood on my BMX doing tricks.  I came to cycling really late in the game, into my 30s already.  And while I've certainly improved and learned how to love bike riding, I've never really mastered the fine art of descending.  Add to that my natural tendency to always fear the worst in things, and you have the perfect recipe for a pretty crappy descender on the bike.

But not to be daunted…I turned to YouTube for advice:


One of the great bits of advice in this video is "look where you wanna go," so as I rode the terrifying switchbacks down the hill in Kuala Lumpur on my new, fast wheels, I heard over and over in my head "look where you wanna go…look where you wanna go…look where you wanna go…"

And it became a mantra for me not just on the bike, but in life as well.

It is important not to look where you are afraid of going, but look where you want to go.  Don't look at those deep ravines and think about what could go wrong, but look where you want to go!

The road with the drop off into the jungle.

The drop way down from the road into the ravine 400m below.
So as I embark on my next adventure in life I'm going to keep that in mind, and I'm only going to look where I want to go, keeping my eye on my ambitions and aspirations not on all the things that could go wrong.  And at the end, I will reach my destination faster and with more confidence than I ever thought possible.  Just as what happened on my last Sunday ride in Kuala Lumpur as I raced down that winding road.

Because at the end of the day, while life sure is about the journey, having some kind of destination in mind and keeping it in the line of sight isn't such a bad idea after all.

Looking where I want to go,
Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment