My brief bio...

I used to co-write a blog, "East and West Running" at www.eastandwestrunning.blogspot.com...click on the various links to see some of the early entries from 2010 to 2012 when I first learned how to run and then first learned how to ride a bike as I was based in Canada and my co-blogger was based in Malaysia.

I fell off the blogging wagon since somewhere around 2014 or 2015, but I'm getting back on so that I can track my #fitoverforty journey back into fitness...

Friday, January 18, 2013

Get Your Groove On!

Joy here...The Man and I have a good friend in Malaysia named Greg Lyons who is an amazing jazz saxophonist, wine connoisseur extraordinaire, fantastic conversationalist, superb triathlete, excellent cyclist, and all-around good guy.  He's a Brit, born in India, who came to visit his dad once upon a time who was working in the rubber industry in Malaysia.  While in Malaysia, Greg met a girl and fell in love with both the country and her...decades later, he's still in love with both.

Me, Greg's lovely wife, Greg, and The Man (with the
smiling Buddha who definitely is in his groove!)
And on many of the bleary-eyed nights when we all have had too much wine to drink and are sitting around having what seem at the time to be super deep conversations, Greg has told us about his theory of "the groove."  Finding one's groove or being in "the groove," is much more to Greg than just hitting the zone musically or athletically.  Rather, it's about getting to a place in life where everything just seems to work; where creatively, spiritually, physically, all cylinders seem to be firing.

Finding your groove is a way of life.

Greg is finding his.  In fact, Groove Works is the name of a jazz workshop that he started up (and still runs) in Singapore, and his latest venture filled with groove is his new cycle touring company in Malaysia, Equipe Nomad.

And in the spirit of getting my groove on, I've been getting my workouts in.

Yet another indoor track!
On Wednesday, I met up with Coach Woods and the rest of the crew at Carleton University's gym so that we could train (indoors again) and get the workout knocked off.  We did a warm up run, followed by our drills--which we did entirely barefoot!!!--and then I did a tempo run.  I felt good.  I felt springy.  I felt like I was groovin'.  Then I went home and did some work before hopping on the bike to fit in Coach Andrew's bike workout as scheduled.  It was a bit harder, but I did it, and then I went to bed, got up in the morning on Thursday, and hopped on the bike again to hit another workout as planned.  At first my legs felt heavy, but then I got in my groove.

So I'll just keep riding in my groove and maybe, just maybe I'll be fast enough to ride with Greg when we next go to Malaysia!

Over and out,
Joy

1 comment: