My brief bio...

I used to co-write a blog, "East and West Running" at www.eastandwestrunning.blogspot.com...click on the various links to see some of the early entries from 2010 to 2012 when I first learned how to run and then first learned how to ride a bike as I was based in Canada and my co-blogger was based in Malaysia.

I fell off the blogging wagon since somewhere around 2014 or 2015, but I'm getting back on so that I can track my #fitoverforty journey back into fitness...

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Training like it's 2010...

Joy here...Back at the turn of 2010, I was in Malaysia (just like this holiday season), and as I got ready to get on the plane at the end of the trip, I literally burst out of my pants.  Broke the zipper and everything.

So after putting on some sweat pants with a stretchy waist band and getting on the plane, my friend Nomi and I decided to train for our first ever running race, a 10km race that I am proud to say we both finished at the end of May 2010 in less than 60 minutes.

I've now gone on to run other races, including a couple of half marathons, and competed in bike races, while Nomi has finished a couple of half marathons and a couple of full marathons since that fat 2010 January.

The canal by our house.
Now it's January 2013 and I would probably burst out of those pants again.  I've since had the zipper fixed on them, but I'm too afraid to try them on, lest I bust them once again!  I'm just taking it on faith that I'm probably right back to where I was back in 2010, but instead of feeling down with that realization, I actually feel a bit buoyed up by it.  I kinda feel like "well, I've been here before, and I got back from it, so I'll do that again."  And when I was training for that first ever 10km running race, I had no experience of training, no experience of racing, no real sense for running, and I was living in a different city from my husband.  Now I've got a number of races under my belt which gives me a great degree of confidence; I live with my husband (which makes me much happier and less prone to chocolate); and I've got Coach Andrew (bike) and Coach Woods (running) onside to help me out.

So I have everything going for me this January.

So when Coach Woods scheduled a 50 minute run for me for this Monday, and Coach Andrew told me to make sure I take it easy and pull up before 50 minutes if need be, I was feeling all set for the run.

Yes, that's me, and yes I'm smiling even though it's winter.
Out the door onto the cleared canal path where some of the mountains of snow have started to melt I went.  I had The Man by my side, and we soon found our groove, feeling more springy than we have any right to feel given our out-of-shape-post-Christmas-fattiness.  We chatted the whole way, strategizing life, and before we knew it, we had run 45 minutes and were almost home.  We stopped at the 45 minute mark and walked the rest of the way back home, and I felt invigorated by the run.  I feel like I might just be on the verge of getting my body back from its out-of-shapeness.

And if I can get my body back, then it means I'll feel happier, more productive, and generally better all around.

Who knows?  I might even start to make friends with winter.

Over and out,
Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment