My brief bio...

I used to co-write a blog, "East and West Running" at www.eastandwestrunning.blogspot.com...click on the various links to see some of the early entries from 2010 to 2012 when I first learned how to run and then first learned how to ride a bike as I was based in Canada and my co-blogger was based in Malaysia.

I fell off the blogging wagon since somewhere around 2014 or 2015, but I'm getting back on so that I can track my #fitoverforty journey back into fitness...

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Joy, you're an animal!

Joy here...Sometimes when athletes (or wannabe athletes like myself) are working out, others will shout something like "you're an animal!"  As the athlete hammers out 400w on the indoor trainer in their basement, or hits 9 X 1km repeats at 3:30min/km pace, sweating, groaning, huffing and puffing, and generally working out at a high level, that claim of his or her animal-like status is like a compliment, a symbol of his or her abilities.  When someone talks about someone's "monster workout" or how he or she is a "beast" on the track or the bike, it's the kind of compliment given with awe.

To put it another way, no one's ever looked at me working out and said, "Joy, you're an animal," and gee I wish someday someone would.

Out of the 7 weeks since we've been back from our Kuala Lumpur, Melbourne, Singapore trip, for 5 of those I've been able to pull off 6 hours of working out each.  Now to really start making some gains, I need to get that up around 10 to 12 hours per week, but since I always feel like I'm failing at my workouts or missing workouts or not hitting them, it's good to look back and realize that aside from my surprise week off when I travelled to Winnipeg, I've been pretty consistent.

Not a beast, mind you, but consistent.

To honour to all those athletes out there who are animals, beasts, and monsters, hitting their workouts, making bystanders both impressed and slightly frightened by their efforts, I give you this little tribute:

The King of the Beasts!
(Drawn by my adult BFF Nomi's 9-year old daughter, cool eh?)

Over and out,
Joy (the wannabe beast)

No comments:

Post a Comment