My brief bio...

I used to co-write a blog, "East and West Running" at www.eastandwestrunning.blogspot.com...click on the various links to see some of the early entries from 2010 to 2012 when I first learned how to run and then first learned how to ride a bike as I was based in Canada and my co-blogger was based in Malaysia.

I fell off the blogging wagon since somewhere around 2014 or 2015, but I'm getting back on so that I can track my #fitoverforty journey back into fitness...

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Musings, Sport and Otherwise

Joy here...Holy doodle!  About five times as many people read my last blog post than some of my more popular ones in the past.  I guess my musings on the flurry of views surrounding being a mom or not have certainly touched a nerve.

And as a result, I'm feeling kind of shy today.  I mean, Nomi and I started up our old blog ("East and West Running" which we logged from 2010 to 2012) as a way to chart our running progress as we aimed for half marathon distances and beyond.

Then I switched over to this blog by myself when I found myself doing more sports than just running.

But in the end, I still just envisioned it as a place where I could log my experiences of training and process the things that I think about as I run, bike, ski etc.

After all, I wouldn't have built a career in literary fields if I didn't find something powerful about the written word's ability to help me come to some sort of clarity with the thoughts that are often swirling and twirling in my head.

feeling a bit shy
But now I feel shy.

Not shy because people read my post and not shy because people have weighed in with their views.  I feel shy, because I'm not sure if I can just write a plain old training entry now, or if I should pick up the thread of my last post and carry on.

In the end, I have to admit that I write because I must.  I write because it helps me keep a record of things; I write because it helps me to think; I write because it helps me to process the world in which I live; and I write because, well, that's just how I roll.

So I think I'll just write what I want, and maybe you'll read it, maybe you won't.

Because despite continuing to think about "the dreaded kid question," I have continued to hit my workouts, a high cadence rides on Monday and Tuesday, and my track practice this morning (Wednesday).

I'm still carrying a few extra kilos from our holiday trip, and I'm still not 100% sure what races I'll sign up for and plan to compete in when the weather gets better, and I've still not been out on skis, but somehow this year with Coach Woods and his crew of amazing runners and fun people, and Coach Andrew's online insights and encouragement, I've been able to weather (pardon the pun) this winter better than many that have come before it.

But that's not to say that I'm not looking forward to NO WINTER next year when we relocate to Malaysia for a year.

And then...then...I intend to write while sitting on my balcony every day.

Over and out,
Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment