My brief bio...

I used to co-write a blog, "East and West Running" at www.eastandwestrunning.blogspot.com...click on the various links to see some of the early entries from 2010 to 2012 when I first learned how to run and then first learned how to ride a bike as I was based in Canada and my co-blogger was based in Malaysia.

I fell off the blogging wagon since somewhere around 2014 or 2015, but I'm getting back on so that I can track my #fitoverforty journey back into fitness...

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Sunday, Chilly Sunday!

Joy here...Back when I was a kid, U2 released their War album, and many of the songs on that album became (and still are) part of my life's soundtrack; you know, that collection of songs that plays in the back of your mind (or iPod/iPhone) to accompany what you do, as if your whole life were a movie with well-chosen songs set to underscore your mood or activities.  (Some of my blog posts have alluded to this musical undercurrent, like a June '11 one about leaving Malaysia, or this one from this spring '12 when I tell the story of my failed 13-year old musical audition, or this July 4th '12 one where I channel my inner Spice Girl...you get the picture.)

Now loads of people I am friends with are into music and have really advanced musical tastes and a refined ear.  They choose cool and alternative music and turn their noses up at my pedestrian tastes.  But I am unabashed in my cheezy music tastes; give me a popular band with great lyrics, and I'll likely be a fan for life.

Which takes me back to U2, a band who often informs my inner soundtrack, like "Sunday Bloody Sunday," a political anthem that roared through my brain as I woke up this Sunday morning.

But instead of hearing a song dedicated to the unarmed victims of a horrible shooting during The Troubles, I heard a variation of the song reflecting the sub zero temperatures that I'd be heading out into for my Sunday ride...Sunday, CHILLY Sunday!  Again and again my own little refrain ran through my head as I bundled up and headed out the door with The Man and Retrofriend and headed to the parkway to meet up with another ex-Winnipegger who was riding with us.  (I guess this cold weather really gives the 'Peggers an advantage!)

Sunday, Chilly Sunday
Along the way, we met up with The Professor and Cili Padi (members of my Cycling Sisterhood from last summer who have continued riding together all throughout this summer), as they were on their way out along the Ottawa River's gravel path on their cyclo-cross bikes.  So we had a bit of a chit chat with them; then they went on their way; then I had a bit of a chit chat with the ex-Winnipegger; and then I put my hands down on my aero bars and started pedalling in harder gear and with a higher cadence as I pulled away from the others to do two 8-minute efforts as planned by my coach.

So even though we got home with frozen fingers and toes on this Sunday, Chilly Sunday, at least I knocked off yet another workout...because by being consistent I will begin to see some gains, I just know it!

Over and out,
Joy

Ride Stats for Sunday:
Rode for 2 hours, 41kms, with an overall average of 23km/hr (with 2 8-minute sets of a medium intensity effort and 30km/hr averages)

No comments:

Post a Comment