My brief bio...

I used to co-write a blog, "East and West Running" at www.eastandwestrunning.blogspot.com...click on the various links to see some of the early entries from 2010 to 2012 when I first learned how to run and then first learned how to ride a bike as I was based in Canada and my co-blogger was based in Malaysia.

I fell off the blogging wagon since somewhere around 2014 or 2015, but I'm getting back on so that I can track my #fitoverforty journey back into fitness...

Saturday, November 2, 2013

Why do we fall, Bruce? So we can learn to pick ourselves up...

Joy here…In my last post I was full of enthusiasm and getting back out there and into the swing of things, both on my bike and in my running shoes.  I was going to the gym every Tuesday and Thursday for a whopping dose of strength training, and I was building back some fitness running so that I don't have a heart attack and die on Sunday when I head out for my first 10km run in 3 years this coming Saturday.

Then, well, I fell.

On my toe, to be precise.

Ouch!!!!
Back in 2012 I fractured my baby toe, and that put an end to my marathon training goals.  The silver lining in that escapade is that I took up bike racing, and had a heck of a fun season of cycling time trials during the summer of 2012, culminating in a 6th place finish in my category at the Ontario provincial event.

But that was a year ago, and now I'm just getting back into the swing of things workout wise, and I was NOT keen on another broken toe derailing me.

The good news is that the toe isn't broken and is mending nicely.

But the bad news is that as my toe began to heal, I got one whopper of a chest cold.  I'm talking about coughing up gross phlegm and everything.  So even as my toe felt better and better, like I could get out there and run on it, my chest cold was telling me a very different story.

The long and the short of all this is that aside from some strength training, I've done a whole lot of not much.

But today I got out there for a Saturday morning right to pick myself back up and dust myself off.

And what a day…

Beautiful Morning!
So I rode my little heart out, coughing ever so slightly every now and then, as I rode up the hill close to where we live in Malaysia.  The weather was lovely (around 25C) and we could hear the ever-elusive gibbons calling to each other in the trees as we rode by.

Granted, my legs were heavy, my toe hurt slightly, my breathing was laboured, and I was slower than when I last rode this hill…BUUUUUTTTTT at least I was out there doing it.  

And I'll be out there again tomorrow morning bright and early.

Over and out,
Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment