My brief bio...

I used to co-write a blog, "East and West Running" at www.eastandwestrunning.blogspot.com...click on the various links to see some of the early entries from 2010 to 2012 when I first learned how to run and then first learned how to ride a bike as I was based in Canada and my co-blogger was based in Malaysia.

I fell off the blogging wagon since somewhere around 2014 or 2015, but I'm getting back on so that I can track my #fitoverforty journey back into fitness...

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Running…? Not yet...

Joy here…Since arriving in Malaysia this year, I've written a number of times about the wildlife (like this one here that summarizes all the animals I may run into, or this one about being scared away from my regular 3-ish km loop by monkeys), and I've grappled pretty hard with being able to fulfil any of my sporting goals (like this post where I wonder if, in fact, I'm simply not coachable).

And the truth of the matter is that I'm still not sure if the hurdles I've not really been able to jump over - like the presence of animals, or a busy schedule, or prohibitively hot temperatures, injuries etc. - actually have anything to do with relocating to Malaysia and adjusting to life lived on the other side of the world, or if they're just about me being lazy or unmotivated.

The sign at the side of the road where I bike ride warning
about animals crossing!!!
The jury is still out.

I'll keep you posted.

In the meantime, I did get out this weekend to ride my bike.  I make the 15km climb up the 3% gradient in less than an hour consistently, and I'm getting more and more comfortable on the downhill.  I've made some friends on the climb, and added myself to an email list with some other ladies in the hopes that I can get some riding buddies.

So I've done what I can to make sure that I'm getting some exercise on the bike.

I also head to a trainer for 90minute (or longer!) strength training sessions twice per week.  I'm doing squats and dead lifts and martial arts kicks and shoulder presses and all sorts of things that I don't know the words for but that leave me feeling strong afterwards (and sometimes sore the next day).

So I've made some strides when it comes to the strength training side of my regimen.

But I was supposed to head out for a 10km running race this weekend.  But I didn't make it.  I've been having a hard time heading out there for my runs.  Partly it has to do with the fact that there are no sidewalks.  Partly it has to do with some of the safety/security concerns here.  Partly it has to do with injury (like my poor toe).  Partly it has to do with the fact that BOTH the venue and date changed for this event! But more than that, I'm not even 100% sure why I didn't get out there to run.  I wanted to, but I just couldn't make it happen.

So I'm still signed up for a 10km running race in Cambodia on Dec. 1.

Wish me luck…at this point, just luck to make it to the starting line!

Over and out,
Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment